The fireplace at a McDonald's restaurant in Burnaby is giving off a little less heat these days after a customer complained about the potential for burned hands.
Debbie Cavell, a Delta resident, was having coffee with relatives at the McDonald's on Kingsway just after Christmas when she noticed the glassed-in fireplace she was sitting next to was very hot.
"I just brushed my hand against it and I went, 'Wow, that is hot,'" she said. "...I felt if a child put their hand on there, they would certainly be burning themselves."
The manager on duty agreed the glass was too hot when Cavell showed him, and he said he would turn down the temperature.
However, a few days later, Cavell said she returned to the restaurant and found the fireplace was at the same temperature she had first experienced.
She then contacted another manager who informed her the restaurant would take further measures in light of her complaint, including removing the table from its place in front of the fireplace, turning down the fireplace temperature and putting up a sign to warn patrons of the potential hazard.
"We took the table and chairs away so there's no table in front of the fireplace and the sign that says, 'caution: hot' has been ordered," said manager Charisse Mensalvas, who noted the restaurant has received no other complaints about the fireplace.
Cavell said she is satisfied these measures have been taken, and hopes the company takes the same steps in all their restaurants with interior fireplaces.