B.C. saw 119 new cases of COVID-19 in the last 24 hours, bringing the number of active cases in the province to 1,406, provincial health officer Bonnie Henry said in a statement.
The latest numbers bring the total number of COVID cases in B.C. since the pandemic began to 10,185, with 8,502 people who contracted the disease having recovered.
In addition to the active cases, 3,180 people continue to be under active public health monitoring due to identified exposure to the coronavirus, the statement said. Currently, there are 68 people hospitalized – with 19 in intensive care.
That number of patients hospitalized with COVID represents a slight relief from the situation one day earlier, when 76 people were announced to be receiving care at hospitals on Thursday – the highest such number since May 5.
Thursday also marked the day when COVID cases in the province officially crossed the 10,000-case barrier.
There has been no new COVID-related deaths in the province in the last 24 hours, Henry added, but did note that a new health-care facility outbreak (at Delta’s Good Samaritan Delta View Care Centre) now brings the total number of such active outbreaks in B.C. to 15.
Henry also noted that – given this weekend being Thanksgiving – people are reminded to maintain social-distancing and other health measures to minimize the impact of COVID as the province goes through a second wave of the pandemic.
“Let's do all we can to protect ourselves and our loved ones from COVID-19 by ensuring we always use our layers of protection this long weekend,” Henry said in the statement. "The care we show each other today will help protect all of us tomorrow, so let's make this Thanksgiving about safe connections and safe celebrations.”
So far, 245 people in B.C. have died from COVID-19 since the pandemic started. The Fraser Health region continues to have the highest number of cases (5,253, up 79 from Thursday), followed by Vancouver Coastal Health (3,728, up 35), Interior Health (559, up two), Northern Health (331, up one) and Island Health (225, up two). Another 89 cases were found with people who live outside Canada, officials said.
The current list of B.C. assisted living or long-term seniors care homes with active COVID-19 outbreaks are:
* Banfield Pavilion long-term care facility, Vancouver
* Haro Park Centre long-term care facility (second occurrence), Vancouver
* Point Grey Private Hospital long-term care facility, Vancouver
* Chartwell Crescent Gardens long-term care facility, Surrey
* Cherington Place long-term care facility, Surrey
* Evergreen Hamlets long-term care facility, Surrey
* George Derby Centre long-term care facility, Burnaby
* Good Samaritan Delta View Care Centre long-term care facility, Delta
* Harrison West at Elim Village long-term care facility, Surrey
* Kin Village assisted-living facility, Delta
* Langley Lodge long-term care facility (third occurrence), Langley
* New Vista Care Home long-term care facility, Burnaby
* Thornebridge Gardens assisted-living facility, New Westminster
* Peace Portal Seniors Village long-term care facility, Surrey
* White Rock Seniors Village long-term care facility, White Rock