B.C. on January 6 reported that it has a record 381 people in hospitals with COVID-19 infections, with 78 of those people sick enough to be in intensive care units. The province also recorded its highest number of new COVID-19 infections in a 24-hour period so far this year, as 625 people are newly battling the virus.
While this is sobering news that the virus remains prevalent in the province, there is a silver lining with signs of success in combatting the pandemic. The 6,343 people actively fighting infections in B.C. is the lowest number since November 16, when 6,279 people had yet to see an end to their illness. There were also 5,456 people who were immunized in the past day – a daily record. In total, 33,665 British Columbians have been vaccinated since the first vaccinations started on December 16.
There were eight new fatalities in the past 24 hours, for a total of 962 people who have died from the virus since the first such death on March 9.
More than 84.5% (46,728) of the 55,254 people who have been infected with the virus in B.C. have so far recovered, while 8,719 people are under active monitoring by health officials because they have had known contact with someone who has tested positive for the disease.
Here is a breakdown of where the 625 new cases were identified:
• 178 people in Vancouver Coastal Health (28.5%);
• 305 people in Fraser Health (48.8%);
• 28 in Island Health (4.5%);
• 71 in Interior Health (11.4%);
• 43 in Northern Health (6.8%); and
• no new cases in people who reside outside the province.
"We have had two new health-care facility outbreaks, at Chilliwack General Hospital and Sunnybank Retirement Home [in Oliver.]" provincial health officer Bonnie Henry and Health Minister Adrian Dix said in a joint statement. "The outbreaks at Crofton Manor and CareLife Fleetwood are now over."
That means that there are now 10 hospitals with active COVID-19 outbreaks. They are:
• St. Paul's Hospital in Vancouver;
• Burnaby Hospital in Burnaby;
• Chilliwack General Hospital in Chilliwack;
• Langley Memorial Hospital in Langley;
• Lions Gate Hospital in North Vancouver;
• Richmond Hospital in Richmond;
• Ridge Meadows Hospital in Maple Ridge;
• Surrey Memorial Hospital in Surrey;
• Vancouver General Hospital in Vancouver; and
• University Hospital of Northern B.C. in Prince George.
The 12 active outbreaks at seniors' living facilities in Vancouver Coastal Health are at:
• Arbutus Care Centre in Vancouver;
• Braddan Private Hospital in Vancouver;
• Capilano Care Centre in West Vancouver;
• Columbus Residence in Vancouver;
• Fraserview Intermediate Care Lodge in Richmond;
• German Canadian Benevolent Society Home in Vancouver;
• Little Mountain Place in Vancouver;
• Minoru Residence in Richmond;
• Renfrew Care Centre in Vancouver;
• Royal Arch Masonic Home in Vancouver;
• Sunrise of Vancouver in Vancouver; and
• Villa Cathay in Vancouver.
The 27 active outbreaks at seniors' living facilities in Fraser Health are at:
• Agecare Harmony Court Care Centre in Burnaby;
• Amenida Seniors Community in Surrey;
• Baillie House in Maple Ridge;
• Brookside Lodge in Surrey;
• Chartwell Langley Gardens in Langley;
• Evergreen Baptist Care Society in White Rock;
• Fleetwood Villa in Surrey;
• George Derby Centre in Burnaby;
• Good Samaritan Delta View Care Centre in Delta;
• Hilton Villa Seniors Community in Surrey;
• Kin Village in Tsawwassen;
• Lakeshore Care Centre in Coquitlam;
• Langley Memorial Hospital long term care - Cedar Hill in Langley;
• Laurel Place in Surrey;
• Madison Care Centre in Coquitlam;
• Menno Home in Abbotsford;
• Morgan Place Care Facility in Surrey
• Nicola Lodge in Port Coquitlam;
• Peace Arch Hospital Foundation Lodge in White Rock;
• Queen's Park Care Centre in New Westminster;
• Rideau Retirement Residence in Burnaby;
• Royal City Manor in New Westminster;
• St. Michael's Centre Extended Care in Burnaby;
• Tabor Home in Abbotsford;
• The Emerald at Elim Village in Surrey;
• The Harrison at Elim Village in Surrey; and
• The Mayfair Seniors Living & Care in Abbotsford.
The four active outbreaks at seniors' living facilities in Northern Health are at:
• Jubilee Lodge in Prince George;
• North Peace Seniors Housing Society in Fort St. John.
• Rotary Manor Dawson Creek in Dawson Creek; and
• Williams Lake Seniors Village in Williams Lake.
The eight active outbreaks at seniors' living facilities in Interior Health are at:
• Creekside Landing in Vernon;
• Heritage Retirement Residence in West Kelowna;
• Heritage Square in Vernon;
• McKinney Place in Oliver;
• Mountainview Village in Kelowna;
• Noric House in Vernon;
• Sunnybank Retirement Home in Oliver; and
• Village by the Station in Penticton.
In Island Health, there is one seniors' facility with an active outbreak of COVID-19: Chartwell Malaspina Care Residence in Nanaimo.