We have started a new Fill in the Blanks series, which will introduce Burnaby NOW readers to a variety of interesting folks in the arts and entertainment community.
Each subject fills out a short questionnaire, "filling in the blanks" to let us know about themselves.
Meet this week's featured performer, Kevin Takahide Lee.
1. I am Kevin Takahide Lee - 50 per cent Japanese, 50 per cent Chinese, 100 per cent Canadian.
2. I spend my time working in the many branches of performing arts.
3. Right now I am working on directing the Newcomers' Choir, learning the chorus for Vancouver Opera and teaching for the city of Burnaby in addition to my own studio.
4. The book on my bedside table right now is Bel Canto: A History of Vocal Pedagogy.
5. Three songs you'll find on my iPod playlist are Piazzola's Soledad, Janelle Monae's Tightrope and George Bizet's Carmen.
6. One work of art that inspires me is Piazzola's Four Seasons because he was able to adapt a Vivaldi's classical baroque composition and give it the sensuous Piazzola flavour of Argentinian tango and romance.
7. One artist who inspires me is Kurt Weill. Despite being a Jewish, left-wing composer living in Nazi Germany he was able to flee to America where he composed music that spanned classical, popular, jazz and staged works. He made music for a purpose, a social purpose.
8. My idea of a perfect day is a Sunday when I wake up at 8 a.m. and get my work done by noon so I have the rest of the day free to socialize, exercise and relax.
9. My favourite edible treat is ... My snack on the go is SunRype Okanagan bars.
10. My guilty pleasure is all-you-can-eat sushi!
11. My favourite vacation spot is staying at a Vancouver hotel with a view of the mountains.
12. My favourite thing about Burnaby is the opportunities it has and continues to provide me. I have 15 great years of volunteer and work history with the city's recreation department, working with and for the people.
13. If I could sit down for a coffee with anyone at all, it would be Winston Churchill.
14. If I could live anywhere at any point in time, I would choose to live here in Burnaby now. It's pretty wonderful here and now.
15. If I could have a superpower, my superpower would be teleportation.
And finally ...
16. If people want to find out more about me, they can go to my website, www.MIUSc.ca, that's MUSIc with a twist.
Would you like to be featured in Fill in the Blanks? Do you know someone who should? Email suggestions (with contact information) to Julie MacLellan, email@example.com.