We have started a new Fill in the Blanks series, which will introduce Burnaby NOW readers to a variety of interesting folks in the arts and entertainment community. Each subject fills out a short questionnaire, “filling in the blanks” to let us know about themselves.
This week’s featured artist is sculptor Ron Simmer, whose new work will be on display at Van Dusen Gardens (5152 Oak St.) from July 31 to Aug. 4.
1. I am a 72-year-old emeritus UBC librarian.
2. I spend my time creating crazy whimsical art from recycled material.
3. Right now I am working on a steampunk garden fountain made of tools, musical instruments and bike parts with LED blinky lights.
4. The book on my bedside table right now is Surrealism by C. Klingsohr-Leroy.
5. Three songs you’ll find on my iPod playlist are Miles Davis’s “So What,” Frank Zappa’s “The Gumbo Variations” and Janis Joplin’s Cheap Thrills.
6. One work of art that inspires me is Hieronymus Bosch’s The Garden of Earthly Delights because he expresses an apocalyptic view of the human condition.
7. One artist who inspires me is Jeff Koons because he is my model of a pop artist.
8. My idea of a perfect day is kayaking down the Fraser River from Hope.
9. My favourite edible (or potable) treat is my wife Janice’s fresh blueberry torte.
10. My guilty pleasure is going to Burning Man for the seventh time.
11. My favourite vacation spot is Vargas Island beach on the west coast of Vancouver Island.
12. My favourite thing about Burnaby is its parks, such as the foreshore park where I walk my dog.
13. If I could sit down for coffee with anyone at all, I would choose Jon Stewart.
14. If I could live anywhere at any point in time, I would choose the ’60s – the best of times.
15. If I could have a superpower, my superpower would be understanding women.