It’s an action-packed weekend ahead in Burnaby: N̓syilxčn̓-language music, Scandinavian entertainment, local bands and beer – there’s something for everyone to enjoy.
Live at The Gallery: Balance by Deer Lake Gallery
Join Deer Lake Gallery and listen to the music of Francis Baptiste, an Indigenous songwriter and music journalist from the Osoyoos Indian Band. Baptiste’s music features songs in N̓syilxčn̓, a highly endangered language, spoken fluently by only approximately 150 people.
The Vancouver Guitar Orchestra will also showcase the sounds of guitar music. Julio Reyes will present a pre-concert lecture on one of the greatest classical guitarists, Paraguayan Agustín Barrios Mangoré.
- When: Saturday, June 25, lecture begins at 5 p.m., music begins at 6 p.m.
- Where: Deer Lake Gallery (6584 Deer Lake Ave.)
- Cost: Free admission, donations accepted online
Foodstock at Swangard Stadium
The first annual Foodstock event is celebrating all things local: bands, breweries and food trucks, in support of the Greater Vancouver Food Bank. Bands include Bend Sinister, Sleepy Gonzales, Generous Thieves and the Noodle Boys. A variety of breweries will provide their beverages, and food trucks will be on-site. Bring a blanket and lawn chairs and enjoy lawn games like bocce, badminton and giant Jenga among others. The event is for ages 19 and up.
- When: Sunday, June 26, 12-5 p.m.
- Where: Swangard Stadium (3883 Imperial St.)
- Cost: $50 which includes one beverage ticket, tickets available online
Scandinavian Midsummer Festival
Celebrate Scandinavia this weekend with performances, bonfire and sing-along and a Finnish “wife-carrying contest.” The Scandinavian Midsummer Festival will host a variety of musicians, dancers, cultural displays, kids’ activities, and a “troll forest.” There will be tasty treats aplenty, with salmon BBQ, Danish open-face sandwiches, Swedish and Finnish meatballs and a beer garden.
- When: Saturday, June 25 and Sunday, June 26
- Where: Scandinavian Community Centre (6540 Thomas St.)
- Cost: $15 on Saturday, $10 on Sunday
Community Cleanup at Cameron
Help your neighbourhood out at a community cleanup. The City of Burnaby is hosting the event for all ages and abilities, and will provide gloves, litter pickers and receptacles. Meet at the rec centre’s parking lot to receive a short orientation and head out with city staff. It’s suggested to wear bright colours, sunscreen and a hat.
- When: Saturday, June 25, 9 a.m. – 12 p.m.
- Where: Cameron Recreation Complex (9523 Cameron St.)
- Cost: Free