Burnaby school district officials are keeping a close eye on school trips and events in light of the worldwide COVID-19 pandemic.
Last week, the district cancelled all international trips for this year.
At a board meeting Tuesday, assistant superintendent Roberto Bombelli said domestic field experiences, including overnight trips, are still going ahead for now, but staff are recommending the board not approve any more trips that involve air travel.
Bombelli said staff will continue to monitor the trips that have already been approved.
“We’re actively monitoring all of the latest information from the provincial health officer, and we take direction from the ministries of health and education as well as from the Fraser Health Authority,” Bombelli said. “Taking all of that information into account, we’re also aware of and monitoring what the implications may be for a number of different school events that are not necessarily trips but would fall under ‘social gatherings.’ That’s a term that’s been used by the provincial health officer. With principals, we’re monitoring those events and will continue to do so, as things may change over time.”
Bombelli said the district is in regular contact with the health and education ministries and Fraser Health and “will continue to ensure that the safety and wellbeing of all students and staff is first and foremost.”
Updates about the impact of COVID-19 on school trips and activities will be posted on the district website, Bombelli said.
For information, visit https://burnabyschools.ca.