Skip to content

Burnaby soaked by 100 mm of heavy rain during atmospheric river

Weatherhood said Burnaby was the only community in its region to reach triple-digit precipitation during the meteorological event on Monday, Dec. 4.
Burnaby was drenched in a downpour of heavy rain on Monday, Dec. 4, as an atmospheric river event rolled through the region.

Burnaby experienced the most heavy rain on Monday, Dec. 4, in comparison to its neighbouring communities in Metro Vancouver.

The latest atmospheric river event drenched the city in a total of 100.4 mm of rain in a span of 24 hours — from 8 a.m. Monday to 8 a.m. Tuesday, Dec. 5.

Weatherhood's data from its BCIT station showed the height of the storm peaked when nearly 24 mm of rain accumulated between 1 and 3 p.m. on Monday.

And the wet stuff kept on falling at a consistent pace until 4 a.m. early Tuesday morning.

Meanwhile, Weatherhood's meter in the River District of south Burnaby counted 79.4 mm of rain in the same time frame.

Regional totals included:

  • Burnaby West = 100.4 mm
  • Surrey City Centre = 92 mm
  • New Westminster = 85.6 mm
  • Annacis Island = 79.6 mm
  • River District = 79.4 mm
  • Port Coquitlam = 76.4 mm

What's next?

The rain will continue in Burnaby for the rest of the week, according ro Weatherhood, declining from a 60 per cent chance of showers today, Dec. 6, to 40 per cent by Friday, Dec. 8.

However, the organization is calling for possible snow this weekend.

During a mix of sun and clouds, Saturday's forecast, Dec. 9, is showing a 95 per cent chance of the white stuff with more than 5 mm by noon that day.

Rain will return at a more than 90 per cent chance on Sunday, Dec. 10, but will only accumulate less than 5 mm as well.

Weatherhood's forecast for Burnaby during the week of Dec. 6, 2023. By Weatherhood