Investigators with the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team areasking for witnesses to step forward after a 33-year-old man was found dead in southeast Burnaby last week.
On April 16, while on patrol shortly before 3 a.m., Burnaby RCMP officers discovered the body of Elmer Libertino lying in the eastbound lane of Moscrop Street near Smith Avenue. Investigators believe the Burnaby resident travelled by public transit from Surrey to the area of Kingsway and Boundary Road sometime between 2 and 3 a.m.
“There may have been quite a few people on foot in the area of Moscrop and Smith around this time and we are asking those people to come forward to tell us if they saw anything including Mr. Libertino in the area,” Sgt. Stephanie Ashton, spokesperson for the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team, said in a release.
Investigators are looking to speak with a group of people they believe were in the area at the time of Libertino’s death. These people were engaged in an online geo-tagging game called Ingress, the release stated.
These gamers are asked to contact investigators at 1-877-551-4448 or by email at [email protected].
“Elmer Libertino has no criminal record, he has had no contact with police, and he has left behind a grieving family who want answers about what happened to their loved one. We ask that if you know something you contact IHIT and share what you know,” Ashton said.