Locked-out Hilton Metrotown hotel workers say they will hold a rally at Burnaby City Hall on Monday to urge council to adopt a motion to not spend city money at the hotel.
Hilton Metrotown locked out room attendants, front desk agents, banquet, and kitchen staff on April 16 after terminating 97 long-term staff, impacting at least 50 workers who live in Burnaby - a move the union has called "mass firings."
The workers are represented by UNITE HERE Local 40.
“The motion also calls on the city to not accommodate any staff, contractors, or other persons on city business during the labour dispute, and that the city immediately inform all staff, contractors, and other affected persons that it will not reimburse expenses incurred on city business at the Hilton Metrotown during the labour dispute,” said a news release. “At a time when the province is providing $120 million in new money to aid economic recovery in the tourism sector, Hilton Metrotown is using the pandemic to terminate long-term workers and permanently roll back economic gains made by women and people of colour who have long served the hotel. Hotel workers are urging elected officials at all levels of government to do more to support economically vulnerable workers hardest hit by the COVID-19 crisis.”
Burnaby Mayor Mike Hurley earlier this month took part in a news conference with the union representing the workers to tell the company to get back to the bargaining table.
“Get back to the table, deal with the layoff and recall provision of the contract, extend that until after this pandemic is over and allow these workers the dignity to return to their jobs as they all want to do,” Hurley said.