Skip to content

Man charged in series of sexual assaults in Burnaby, Vancouver

Police say the sexual assaults happened during a three-day period between March 31 and April 2, 2022.
rcmppatchregular_bk-edit
A 27-year-old man has been charged with numerous offences in connection with a series of sexual assaults in Burnaby and Vancouver this past spring.

Nearly a dozen charges have been approved against a 27-year-old man in connection with several sexual assaults in Burnaby and Vancouver this past spring. 

Between March 31 and April 2, five women reported being groped in the Metrotown area. The man then travelled to Vancouver where he allegedly committed several other offenses, including two more sexual assaults and an indecent act. 

Burnaby RCMP spokesperosn Cpl. Alexa Hodgins says investigators were able to quickly identify Hayden McCorriston and learned he had been arrested for an unrelated offence on April 3. 

Evidence was gathered to get a clearer picture of McCorriston's activities during that three-day period. He remains in custody, as of this publication (June 21).

The BC Prosecution Service approved 11 charges against McCorriston on June 7, including seven counts of sexual assault, two thefts, one assault and one indecent act. 

"This was a serious and traumatic series of events that impacted the feeling of safety and security in our community," Hodgins said in a news release. 

"We appreciate the assistance and cooperation of our policing partners from Vancouver Police and Metro Vancouver Transit Police for helping advance this multi-jurisdictional sexual assault investigation." 

Burnaby RCMP's high risk offender unit took lead on the case, and worked with the Vancouver Police Department (VPD) and Metro Vancouver Transit Police (MVTP).

push icon
Be the first to read breaking stories. Enable push notifications on your device. Disable anytime.
No thanks