Parents at Burnaby’s biggest high school have gotten their fifth letter this fall notifying them of COVID-19 exposures at their kids’ school.
Burnaby North Secondary School families got notices from Fraser Health and principal Dave Rawnsley Monday afternoon saying someone who tested positive for the virus had been at the school last Monday and Tuesday (Nov. 2 and 3).
Just days earlier, on Friday, the same families were told someone infected with COVID-19 had been at the school from Oct. 28 to 30.
The notices follow a standard format, telling parents the person who tested positive is self-isolating at home and no more information can be shared for privacy reasons.
Fraser Health school exposures:
Map by Gary McKenna/Tri-City News
The letters direct parents to keep sending their kids to school during contact tracing and say that, unless parents are contacted again by Fraser Health, health officials have determined their kids are not at risk of developing COVID-19.
This is the fifth time since school started that Burnaby North parents have been notified of exposures at the school, according to letters posted on the school’s website.
Since September, there have been 10 days that someone infected with COVID has been at the school.
But just because someone with the virus was there, doesn’t mean others will get it, according to Fraser Health chief medical health officer Dr. Elizabeth Brodkin.
Despite a “very significant number” of exposures at schools in the health region, “very few of them have gone on to result in transmission,” she said last week.
“The measures that are there are working,” she said.