Sure, it’s no secret how much I love the Burnaby Heights. It’s our city’s best eating district, with all due respect to the fine row of restaurants along Kingsway near Metrotown.
The Heights just has the best mix of food types and some really high-quality choices.
But I love all of Burnaby. It’s my hometown and I’m working my way through as many restaurants as I can get to.
For this column, however, it’s back to the Heights, which is hosting a cool summer dining event called Crave the Heights.
Organized by the Burnaby Heights Merchants Association, the event is hosted from Aug. 16 to 25.
Crave the Heights is a 10-day local dining showcase where participating food businesses offer a variety of specials.
These specials range from multi-course menus, appetizer deals, happy hour, to dessert specials.
SCORPION RAMEN / SHIRO MISO / AKA MISO ($6 RAMEN SOFT OPENING SPECIAL) 🍜 • @ramengaoh __ NEW RAMEN SPOT IN BURNABY! Ramen Gaoh is a sister restaurant to Ramen Gojiro & The Ramen Butcher. But their specialization is in MISO BROTHS. My favourite of the 3 is the Shiro Miso, made out of white soybean paste for a relatively lighter and creamy broth. Their karaage is also just like Gojiro's - massive. If you enjoy generous noodle portions, thick + fatty pork and heavier broths, this spot will meet your needs 😁 __ Ps. Somehow their noodles taste like chinese stir-fry in soup noodle form 😂 __ Tag a ⬇️ RAMEN LOVER ⬇️ to alert them #vancouverfoodie #ramengaoh #ramen #burnabyfood #burnaby #narcityvancouver #vancouver #dishedvan #curiocityvan #dishedvan #noods #foodbeast #vftakesvancouver
This year, there are 12 participants, including three new eateries on the Heights, Fiordilatte Gelateria and Caffe, Ramen Gaoh, and Sopra Sotto Pizzeria.
See full list of participants below.
- Chad Thai (4010 Hastings)
- Chez Christophe Chocolaterie and Patisserie (4717 Hastings)
- Cristos Greek Taverna (4624 Hastings)
- Fiordilatte Gelateria and Caffe (4233 Hastings)
- Glenburn Soda Fountain (4090 Hastings)
- Gray Olive Cafeteria Aug 20 – 25 (4190 Hastings)
- Green and Oak Malaysian Restaurant
- La Villetta Ristorante (3901 Hastings)
- Noodle Paradise (4217 Hastings)
- Pear Tree Restaurant (4120 Hastings)
- Ramen Gaoh (4518 Hastings)
- Sopra Sotto Pizzeria (4022 Hastings)
And you’ll often get music with your meals. Local Burnaby musicians will be seen on the Heights on select evenings. Chloe Farrell and Juno award-winner Gabriel Hasselbach will be playing tunes up and down Hastings Street.
- Aug. 16 – Hasselbach, 5:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
- Aug. 17 – Farrell, 6 p.m. – 8 p.m.
- Aug. 18 – Farrell, 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
- Aug. 21 – Hasselbach, 5:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
Food. Music. Good weather.
I can’t wait.
Follow Chris Campbell on Twitter @shinebox44.