New data from the BC Centre for Disease Control has shed more light on the two worst COVID-19 outbreaks at Burnaby care homes, including one in which half of those who tested positive later died from the virus.
B.C. health authorities list when an outbreak occurs at care home, but don’t post specific data such as total cases and deaths related to the outbreak on a regular basis.
That’s all changed as of Thursday when the B.C. government said it will post weekly data related to the outbreaks.
In Burnaby, the worst outbreak is at AgeCare Harmony Court, which has seen a total of 118 COVID-19 cases since Nov. 19 at its long-term care unit. So far, 29 Harmony residents have died out of 73 cases. The other 45 cases involve staff.
Another large active outbreak is at the long-term care unit of George Derby Centre, which has seen 44 cases since Nov. 13.
There have been 32 resident cases at George Derby and 14 of those residents have died – so nearly half of every positive case.
Overall in B.C., eight more seniors died from COVID-19 between Wednesday and Thursday for a total of 970 people since the first death from the virus happened in B.C. on March 9.
The 27 active outbreaks at seniors' living facilities in Fraser Health are at:
• Agecare Harmony Court Care Centre in Burnaby;
• Amenida Seniors Community in Surrey;
• Baillie House in Maple Ridge;
• Brookside Lodge in Surrey;
• Chartwell Langley Gardens in Langley;
• Evergreen Baptist Care Society in White Rock;
• Fleetwood Villa in Surrey;
• George Derby Centre in Burnaby;
• Good Samaritan Delta View Care Centre in Delta;
• Hilton Villa Seniors Community in Surrey;
• Kin Village in Tsawwassen;
• Lakeshore Care Centre in Coquitlam;
• Langley Memorial Hospital long term care - Cedar Hill in Langley;
• Laurel Place in Surrey;
• Madison Care Centre in Coquitlam;
• Menno Home in Abbotsford;
• Morgan Place Care Facility in Surrey
• Nicola Lodge in Port Coquitlam;
• Peace Arch Hospital Foundation Lodge in White Rock;
• Queen's Park Care Centre in New Westminster;
• Rideau Retirement Residence in Burnaby;
• Royal City Manor in New Westminster;
• St. Michael's Centre Extended Care in Burnaby;
• Tabor Home in Abbotsford;
• The Emerald at Elim Village in Surrey;
• The Harrison at Elim Village in Surrey; and
• The Mayfair Seniors Living & Care in Abbotsford.