A 20-year-old Surrey man accused of carrying a loaded handgun near the Metropolis at Metrotown mall has pleaded not guilty in Vancouver provincial court.
The charge dates back to an incident on Sunday, March 28.
In a tweet the following day, Metro Vancouver Transit Police said its crime suppression team had interrupted a suspected drug deal at Metrotown on the weekend.
The tweet said the suspect, a 19-year-old Surrey man, had fled but was arrested with help from mall security.
Officers seized a loaded 9mm handgun during the arrest, the tweet said, and “multiple firearm charges” had been recommended.
One count of illegal firearm possession was laid against Arunjit Singh Virk on March 29.
The charge carries a maximum sentence of 10 years and a minimum sentence of three years for the first offence.
Virk was in Vancouver provincial court Thursday and entered a not-guilty plea.
He is due back in court on Aug. 12 to confirm a trial date.
Crown prosecutor James Patterson said the trial should be set for four days.
“There are a number of witnesses,” he said. “I suspect, although I haven’t been given notice, that there will be Charter arguments that will be filed."
Transit police media spokesperson Sgt. Clint Hampton confirmed the suspect referred to in the March tweet was Virk.
Follow Cornelia Naylor on Twitter @CorNaylor