With season kick-off just around the corner, a new poll shows coaches in the Great Northwest Athletic Conference expect SFU to come out on top.
SFU men's soccer team received five of seven first-place votes in the 2022 Great Northwest Athletic Conference Preseason Men's Soccer Coaches Poll and finished with 47 points.
The last time the school won the championship was four years ago in 2018.
During last season, SFU finished second behind Seattle Pacific after a strong October push to claim the title, winning five of its last seven to finish the year with a 9-7-0 record and 6-4-0 in conference play.
The squad allowed only 20 goals all season, but struggled offensively, scoring just 17.
Goalkeepers for SFU held a 1.23 goals against average (GAA) and led the conference in shutouts with 7.
The results of the 2022 GNAC Preseason Men's Soccer Coaches Poll are as follows:
- Simon Fraser University - 2021 record: 9-7-0
- Western Washington - 2021 record: 7-8-2
- Seattle Pacific - 2021 record: 12-4-2
- Northwest Nazarene - 2021 record: 8-8-0
- Saint Martin's - 2021 record: 4-13-0
- Montana State Billings - 2021 record: 4-9-3
- Western Oregon - 2021 record: N/A
SFU will start its 2022 NCAA regular season on Saturday, Aug. 27, against No. 1 ranked California State Los Angeles at the SFU Showdown tournament.